American Literature

Tuesday, December 05, 2006




A favorite passage of mine within "Lolita"
pg. 53
"Or is it because I can image so well the rest of the colorful classroon around my dolores and hazy darling: Grace and her ripe pimiples; Ginny and her lagging leg; Gordon, the haggard masturbator; Duncan, the foul-smelling clown; nail-biting agnes; Viola, of the blackehads and the bouncing bust; pretty Rosaline; dark Mary Rose; adorable Stella, who has let strangers tough her, Ralph, who bullies and steals; Irving, for whon I am sorry. And there she is there, lost in the middle, gnawing a penciel, detested by teachers, all the boy's eyes on her hair and neck, my Lolita."

I know it isn't the most beautiful passage within this work but I really enjoy it simply because it is such an accurate and eloquent description of that it is like to be that age, the Jr. High age. He captures the foul smells, bullies, and pimples and yet makes it an extremely beautiful description.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home